Friday 8 March 2013

My Creative Space - Gingham Drawers

Believe it or not, I like to have a tidy house ... My craft corner hasn't been reflecting this recently ...

Vous me croirez si vous voulez mais j'aime que ma maison soit bien rangee ... Mon coin-bricolage n'en montrait rien ces derniers temps ...


No matter how much I like this hutch dresser, it was just taking too much space and I had to let it go. I have been given by a freecycle member some drawers a while ago. I like the fact they are made of pine. However those drawers could hardly hold together. Yet I thought it was high time to give them an extreme makeover.

Peu importe a quel point j'aime ce vaisselier, il prenait bien trop de place et il etait temps de passer a autre chose. Un membre freecycle m'avait donne une commode il y a quelques temps. J'aime le fait qu'elle soit en pin. Cependant, la commode tenait tout juste debout. Malgre tout, je me suis dit qu'il etait grand temps de la renover.


I asked a friend cabinet maker to replace the bottom of the drawers and the back of the furniture. He actually reinforced the frame by adding screws all over the place too. I should actually be grateful for that when I think about it ! After I removed the handles, I filled some of the holes with some builder's fill and sanded the whole lot. I replaced the handles with wooden knobs. A few coats of white paint later, I decided to experiment and with a lot of low-tack tape, I created a gingham pattern on the drawers. I finished my project with a coat of water-based varnish. I do like the bright colours that lift up the living room and of course, my craft tools are all nicely tucked away in the drawers now.

J'ai demande a un ami menuisier de remplacer le fond des tiroirs et le dos du meuble. En fait, il a aussi renforce la structure en ajoutant des vis un peu partout. Je devrai lui en etre reconnaissante quand j'y pense ! Apres avoir enleve les poignees, j'ai bouche plusieurs trous avec une pate speciale puis j'ai ponce le tout. J'ai remplace les poignees par des boutons en bois. Quelques couches de peinture blanche plus tard, et avec beaucoup de ruban a faible adhesion, j'ai choisi d'experimenter sur le meuble en creant un motif vichy. J'ai termine ce projet avec une couche de vernis aqueux. J'apprecie ces couleurs vives qui egayent la salle de sejour et bien sur, mes outils de bricolage sont maintenant tous bien ranges dans les tiroirs.


For more inspiration, please click here.

2 comments:

  1. gorgeous! love the bright colours.

    mezz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mezz. I thoroughly enjoy expressing my creative self on wood.

      Delete